I tested 50 gluten free protein powders and found Dymatize Iso 100 to be the best gluten free protein powder for someone avoiding gluten but still looking for a high protein boost.
I’ve been working out for both performance and health reasons my entire life. During that time, I have experienced fitness highs and lows.
I had to add protein into my regimen for muscle growth and weight loss at different times, so it was essential to find protein powders that could work for both events.
When you’re taking a protein powder, most times you’re trying to get the most protein with the least amount of extra carbs and fat that you can. Dymatize Iso 100 delivers the best ratio of protein to fat and carbs of any shake we tested.
You don’t want to have to choke down your drink. If you don’t like it, you will have a harder time drinking it as often as you need to. Dymatize Iso 100’s eight different flavor options taste great and keep your protein intake fun and satisfying.
Protein isn’t the only thing you’re looking for in your shakes, though. The powders have to fit into your diet plan, offer the proper nutrients, and avoid all other ingredients you can’t consume.
To make sure you can find the protein drink that works right for you, we have also offered six other protein powders that are the best at meeting specific dietary restrictions you might have on top of needing a gluten-free protein source.
Check out the top products in every category to find the best gluten free protein powder that will help you meet your goals and fit into your diet plan.
- Product Reviews
- Best Overall – Dymatize Iso 100
- Best For Weight Loss – Designer Whey Protein Powder
- Best Vegan – Truvani Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Best Keto – Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides Protein Powder
- Best Dairy Free – Owyn 100% Vegan Protein Powder
- Best Soy Free – PlantFusion Complete Plant-Based Pea Protein Powder
- Best Unflavored – Naked WHEY
- Buying Guide
- Is Whey Gluten-Free?
Here is a quick breakdown of seven of the best products I tested that can help you. I think you’ll be able to use one of these to get the results you are looking for, whether it’s to grow muscle, lose weight, or add protein to your daily diet.
Best Overall – Dymatize Iso 100
Dymatize Iso 100 gives extra protein while skipping a lot of the useless additives out there. It offers 25 grams of 100% whey protein that is easy to digest and quickly absorbed. It is helpful as an after-workout snack when you’re working hard in the gym to add muscle.
The protein powder comes in multiple fun flavors that make the whole experience more satisfying. Not only are you adding much-needed protein to your workout and diet, but you get to enjoy dessert flavors while you do it.
- Flavors: Chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, cookies and cream, fudge brownie, gourmet vanilla, and peanut butter.
- Type of protein: Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate
- Key Features: Quick absorbing protein, gluten-free, avoid sugars and fat
- Certified: Manufactured in GMP and Sport Certified facilities
- Macronutrients: One Scoop (30g) is 100 Cals, 0g Fat, 1g Carb, 25g Protein
Best For Weight Loss – Designer Whey Protein Powder
Designer Protein prides itself on using 100% natural ingredients. These ingredients help the product add a ton of vitamins and minerals that, when combined with the added protein, can help you feel more full. When you use the powder with a healthy lifestyle, it can assist in weight loss.
It is the best gluten free protein powder for weight loss because it helps keep you eating healthy. When used as a snack or added to a drink, it can help you stay satisfied for the whole day. By avoiding chemical sweeteners, it won’t cause artificial blood sugar spikes that harm diets.
- Flavors: Double chocolate, gourmet chocolate, french vanilla, unflavored, and strawberry
- Type of protein: Whey protein concentrate and isolate
- Key Features: 20 grams of protein, artificial sweetener-free, rich in vitamins and minerals, gluten-free
- Certified: Kosher, Gluten-Free
- Macronutrients: One Scoop (31g) is 110 Cals, 1.5g Fat, 6g Carbs, 20g Protein
Best Vegan – Truvani Plant-Based Protein Powder
If you’re trying to avoid meat and all animal products, you can still get all the protein you need. Truvani uses natural pea and plant protein to help you get all the amino acids you need to grow muscles and meet your dietary needs while avoiding gluten, lactose, and everything you don’t want.
Vegans don’t have to miss out on their protein intake. You can use this as a dietary supplement, a post-workout protein boost, or a healthy snack choice for weight loss. You don’t lose any flavor while avoiding unneeded animal products enjoying these shakes.
- Flavors: Banana cinnamon, chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Type of protein: Pea and plant protein powder
- Key Features: Vegan protein, all-natural, no sweeteners, gluten-free
- Certified: Organic, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Vegan
- Macronutrients: One Scoop (33g) is 130 Cals, 3g Fat, 5g Carb, 20g Protein
Best Keto – Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides Protein Powder
When you’re trying to live a Keto lifestyle, protein powder can be a minefield of sugar spikes, unnatural ingredients, and many other problems. Perfect Keto Collagen can help you get your extra protein while keeping you away from all the ingredients you need to avoid.
The collagen helps you build muscles, hair, and fingernails. It is a great option to use as a morning supplement and as a pre-workout drink to help give you an extra boost of energy and protein.
- Flavors: Chocolate, cinnamon toast, peanut butter, salted caramel, strawberry, unflavored, and vanilla.
- Type of protein: Collagen protein
- Key Features: Keto Friendly, no added chemicals or added sweeteners, collagen promotes hair and nail growth, gluten and dairy-free
- Certified: None
- Macronutrients: One Scoop (17g) is 80 Cals, 3.5g Fat, 2g Carb, 10g Protein
Best Dairy Free – Owyn 100% Vegan Protein Powder
Owyn takes a mixture of super greens and probiotics to get you an influx of protein that avoids the eight most common allergens. You can stay away from dairy and lactose while still getting your protein for a workout or diet.
Using the mixture as a post-workout drink helps deliver vegan omega-3 fatty acids to fight inflammation. These acids can help you recover faster and grow muscle quicker, with less pain. You get all these great features without sacrificing flavor, which is also nice.
- Flavors: Chocolate and vanilla.
- Type of protein: Pea and other plant-based proteins
- Key Features: Focused on avoiding dietary allergens, Vegan, Dairy and gluten-free
- Certified: Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free
- Macronutrients: One Scoop (34g) is 140 Cals, 3g Fat, 7g Carb, 20g Protein
Best Soy Free – PlantFusion Complete Plant-Based Pea Protein Powder
Many people try to keep soy out of their diet for multiple reasons. You can get all of your protein needs without soy or animal products and still enjoy the taste of the drink. PlantFusion offers options to get your protein in a flavor that you love.
If you don’t always digest protein powders well, this option may also help you. It uses many natural enzymes that promote the easy breakdown of the protein so that it is less harsh on your stomach.
Check out our full review here!
- Flavors: Chocolate, cookies and cream, natural, unflavored, red velvet, and vanilla.
- Type of protein: Plant-based proteins, including pea
- Key Features: Fortified with digestive enzymes, free of ten common allergens, gluten-free
- Certified: Non-GMO, Kosher, Vegan
- Macronutrients: One Scoop (30g) is 120 Cals, 3g Fat, 2g Carb, 21g Protein
Best Unflavored – Naked WHEY
Sometimes you don’t need anything but protein. Naked whey has only one ingredient, whey protein concentrate. If you want to get straight protein without any other additives, this is the way to go.
The powder offers you a lot of protein with very few other things. That makes it an excellent option for anyone who is trying to avoid chemicals and preservatives. The lack of added flavor lets you mix it into almost anything you want without taste problems.
Check out our full review here!
- Flavors: Unflavored
- Type of protein: Whey Protein Concentrate
- Key Features: No additives just straight protein, cold processed, gluten-free
- Certified: Gluten-free
- Macronutrients: Two Scoops (30g) are 120 Cals, 2g Fat, 3g Carb, 25g Protein
When buying a protein powder, you want to find a product that gives you enough protein per serving. You also need to consider the protein source. Whey is a practical option for gluten-free, but so are many other plant and animal-based proteins.
You need to consider the sweeteners used in the protein and decide which ones are best for you and your diet. The fewer extra ingredients, the better in most cases because it will help you avoid products you don’t need.
Lastly, you want to find a powder that will help you meet your goals. There are different powders out there for building muscle, getting extra nutrients, and weight loss. Finding the right kind will help you have a better experience.
Is Whey Gluten-Free?
Whey is a protein source that comes from milk. It is a byproduct of cheese and casein production. Whey is naturally gluten-free, but some whey protein powders use products that add gluten to your diet.
Is Whey Good for Celiacs?
Whey is useful if you have Celiac disease, but unfortunately, that doesn’t mean all whey protein powders are safe. Even if the label states 100% whey protein, you will still want to check the ingredients list.
Look for any known source of gluten like flour, brewers yeast, and all other grain sources. You should also try to focus on protein powders that are certified gluten free to stay safe.
Benefits of Protein Powder
There are many reasons to start using protein powder in your diet. It can offer a lot of helpful benefits, especially when you pair it with a healthy lifestyle. You can use protein for performance and health to help you achieve your fitness goals.
Powders offer advantages when working out. Protein makes all muscle tissue, so adding extra building blocks to your system will help you grow muscle quicker. Once you get the muscle, you need to keep up the protein to maintain and repair them.
A good protein drink will help you get faster gains in the gym, and it will also help you heal quicker after the workout. You won’t have muscle pain for as long, and you will be able to get back into the gym quicker for your next workout when you get enough protein in your diet.
Protein is a great way to help your body feel more full. Protein takes longer to digest and break down. This process allows you to feel more satisfied for a longer time.
Studies show that increasing your protein intake can help you lose weight. The exact mechanism for the increase in weight loss is still being tested, but adding protein to your diet can be helpful.
Protein powders add much-needed protein to your daily diet, but they can also add a lot of extra vitamins and minerals. Finding the right supplements can help you in many different ways, including better overall health, weight loss, and increased energy.
Here are some quick answers to common protein powder questions.
Whether you’re looking to build muscle or add extra protein into your diet while avoiding gluten, Dymatize Iso 100 gets you the best results. However, if you have other dietary restrictions, a few different products can help you meet your fitness goals.
Getting the right protein powder will help you get in better shape and reach all the demands of your busy and active lifestyle. There are so many choices out there that it can be hard to find the one you need.
When you decide which option will work the best for you, please check out the links above and order your protein powder so you can start living your best life today.