Getting the right amount of protein is especially important for gastric sleeve patients. After testing five different products, I’ve determined that Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder is the best protein powder for gastric sleeve patients.
Protein is always an essential component of your diet, but after gastric sleeve surgery, it is more than critical for your recovery. The suitable protein powder can make the recovery process even more successful, but picking the wrong powder could potentially derail your body’s healing.
The high-quality ingredients and excellent nutritional value are only some of the reasons why Dymatize ISO Whey Protein Powder has made the top of the list.
Of course, every post-op patient may have different needs. You may need a different protein powder if you’re following a vegan diet, are gluten-free, or prefer to consume your powder in smoothies or baked goods.
Keep reading for an in-depth look at the best protein powder for gastric sleeve patients.
- Importance of Protein After Surgery
- Best Source of Protein After Surgery
- Best Protein Powders for Gastric Sleeve Patients
Importance of Protein After Surgery
Protein can be helpful for anyone, but with the rapid weight loss that comes after gastric sleeve surgery, any post-op patient must consume enough protein to keep a healthy metabolism and limit muscle mass loss.
If you aren’t able to get enough protein while you lose weight after a gastric sleeve surgery, your body may begin to lose the existing muscle mass that you have. Since your body won’t have enough protein to rebuild what it has lost, gastric sleeve patients without adequate protein may also begin to experience adverse side effects due to a lack of nutrition.
Maintaining or rebuilding muscle not only helps prevent unsavory side effects like hair loss, but it can even reduce the amount of loose or sagging skin left after your rapid weight loss too.
Best Source of Protein After Surgery
After surgery, while the body is healing, protein is vital. Protein will help your body rebuild itself and normalize after surgery.
As your appetite regulates due to a smaller stomach, it can be complicated to meet all of your protein needs through meat and dairy products. Instead, you can try reincorporating more protein into your diet through a protein powder.
While it’s important to talk to your doctor about your personal nutrition plan, gastric sleeve patients typically require between 65 to 75 grams of protein daily. Without this crucial nutrient, it is easy for your body to lose lean muscle.
You can expect to be able to start taking in liquids, including drinking protein shakes, by day two after surgery. While all patients need to consult their doctors for a meal plan, this is typical.
Choosing the right protein shake is essential because some of them are meant for weight gain. The best protein for gastric sleeve patients will be low in calories and high in protein/nutrition.
What Should I Be Eating Pre-Op?
Getting ready for surgery is essential. Your lifestyle is about to change when it comes to your relationship to food, so developing healthy habits beforehand can help you have a speedier and more successful recovery and result.
Getting lots of protein before surgery is essential. You can start incorporating high-quality protein powders and shakes in the weeks leading up to surgery. You’ll also want to include lean meats and whole grains. These foods are low in fat yet high in satiation and nutrition.
The most important thing you can do is listen to your doctor’s advice and any recommendations they may have for your pre-op diet.
What Should I Be Eating Post-Op?
Immediately after the surgery and for the first day, you will not be eating anything. Don’t worry about feeling hungry. The surgery is likely to reduce your hunger hormone, ghrelin.
Around day two, you will be able to start taking in liquids, including:
- Clear broth
- Unsweetened fruit juices
- High-quality protein drinks
After that, your recovery comes in phases, gradually incorporating soft foods, then ground meats until you can eat regularly.
After the healing is complete, it is vital to maintain a healthy, high protein, low-calorie diet. Choose foods that give you plenty of nutritional value in relation to the calories.
Best Protein Powders for Gastric Sleeve Patients
Now that we’ve covered what your diet may look like before and after surgery, here are the top five best protein powder for gastric sleeve patients to pick from.
Best Overall – Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder
Not only does it mix into smoothies and other baked goods easily, but the Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder offers 25 grams of protein per serving and comes in a variety of flavors, including chocolate, peanut butter, fruity pebbles, and even Dunkin’ cappuccino for any caffeine lovers.
- Reputable brand
- There are 5.5 grams of BCAAS or branched-chain amino acids per serving
- Low in fat and sugar (Less than 1 gram per serving)
- Gluten-free and easy to digest
- Great for sensitive, post-op stomachs
- Minimal amounts of fat and sugar
- It offers a variety of flavors for chocolate, caffeine, and fruit lovers
- More protein per serving than some powders
- The chocolate flavor actually tastes like real chocolate
- It doesn’t offer as many flavors as some protein powders
- It may be too sweet for some buyers
This protein powder is ideal for anyone who already has a sensitive stomach but still wants a sweet powder high in protein per serving and low in sugar and fat.
Plant fusion meets your needs as you recover from surgery with a plant-based formula. Its complete protein formula makes it the perfect option for those trying to avoid animal products.
Rather than use whey, this protein powder entirely relies on plant-based proteins and offers almost as much protein per serving as animal-based or whey protein.
- There are no fillers, so it’s vegan-friendly and gluten-free
- 21g of plant-based proteins, including peas, artichokes, algae, and organic superfoods.
- There’s an amino acid-infused protein blend for complete balance
- The only plant-based product that compares to animal proteins like whey
- Fortified with digestive enzymes, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free so it’s easy to digest
- There are no artificial flavors or sweeteners
- Certified Vegan, Non-GMO, and Kosher Certified
- Easy to digest
- Plant-based and both vegan and vegetarian-friendly
- Perfect for more restrictive diets
- Blends easily into smoothies or just water
- The consistency may be a little too foamy
- It may not be as good when just mixed with water
This protein powder is an excellent pick for anyone already following or wishing to pursue a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Met-Rx combines the essential nutrients of a well-balanced diet in an easy-to-use powder. While it may be a bit limited in flavor, it makes for a great meal replacement packed with protein, amino acids, and nutrients, while staying low in fats and carbohydrates.
- Great ratio of protein to carbs
- Complete nutrition
- Easy to mix
- Gluten-free, low-fat, and aspartame-free
- Easily integrates into water, milk, or other liquids
- Extremely low in carbs but high in protein
- The vanilla flavor tends to be more subtle and lack that chemical or sweetener taste
- It doesn’t offer as many flavors as some protein shakes
This powder is an ideal option for anyone who needs more than just protein but also the other nutrients required for a complete meal replacement.
Sometimes taking the time to blend a shake is not possible, and you just need to grab something from the fridge and go. Pure Protein RTD shakes offer convenience while still meeting your protein goals.
- High Protein, low sugar
- 30 grams of complete protein
- Suitable for those with lactose intolerance
- 5 delicious flavors
- High in vitamins and minerals
- It doesn’t take as much time to prepare
- Higher in protein than a lot of other powders
- Supports immune health with added vitamins
- Not watery
- The packaging can be confusing to open
- It may have a chalky aftertaste
- Only 4 flavors available
This protein powder is excellent for anyone who prioritizes convenience. While it does include many essential ingredients, the manufacturers recommend combining it with a piece of fruit for complete nutrition.
The point of Naked WHEY is to avoid adding flavors to your smoothie and baking recipes while adding protein.
When incorporating it into your favorite recipes, you don’t have to worry about the flavor profile changing. This protein is also the only whey protein on the list that comes from grass-fed animals.
- Grass-fed, all-natural
- Cold processed to avoid chemical contamination
- Certified Gluten Free, Soy Free, Growth Hormone Free
- 5.9g BCAAs for muscle building and recovery
- Completely grass-fed
- Offers multiple sizes when ordering
- Low in calories compared to some protein powders
- Low in sugar and carbs
- Flavors available, with added ingredients
- It may not taste as good when mixed on its own
This protein powder is an excellent option for anyone that wants to add their powder as a supplement to smoothies or even baked goods.
These products will help you towards your protein goals after gastric sleeve surgery. Depending on your needs, you have options to try multiple to help you with your recovery.
Dollar for dollar and ingredient for ingredient, Dymatize ISO100 comes in as the best overall price and nutritional value. You can take the first step in your recovery with one of these protein powders for gastric sleeve patients.