When you get into the gym, you want to be focused. You want to be energized and ready to leave it all on the floor. That’s why you need a pre-workout supplement that fuels you and inspires you. For me, there are days when I really need that extra push that only an intelligently-designed pre-workout can give me. I might start the day sluggish and unmotivated, but with the right pre-workout, it’s go time as soon as I walk through the doors of that gym.
That’s where Altius pre-workout comes in. Developed by Jacked Factory, this pre-workout is designed to help you level up your workouts. But does it deliver on its promises? Let’s find out in this altius pre workout reviews.
Things to Consider Before Buying
Before we take a closer look at Altius, let’s go through some of the things you probably want to think about before you purchase a pre-workout. After all, the right pre-workout can help you support muscle and strength gains that you previously thought were impossible. Here are some of the questions you may want to ask yourself before you buy:
- How important are stimulants? Most types of pre-workout have some type of stimulant ingredient. Depending on your sensitivity to stimulants (or lack thereof), it may be important to carefully read the label of any pre-workout you’re considering. Check out the best non-stimulant pre-workouts here, if true.
- What B-vitamins do you need? There are many B-vitamins, and many of them support sustained energy. Depending on whether or not you get enough B-vitamins in your diet, you may or may not want a pre-workout that contains additional B-vitamins.
- What amino acids are most important? Some of us need a taurine boost before a workout, while others emphasize the importance of nitric oxide boosters like L-citrulline and L-arginine. Some need both. It’s a good idea to think about which amino acids you consider essential before you make a purchase.
- How important is a pump? We all love the feeling of a skin-tightening pump post-workout, but adequate delivery of blood to the muscle also plays an important role in protein synthesis. You may want to consider each pre-workout candidate’s ability to give you a pump.
- What other ingredients are necessary? As I mentioned earlier, choosing a pre-workout is very personal. Be sure to think about what else you want to include. Maybe you prefer a pre with creatine added in, or maybe all-natural ingredients, like the ones here.
Altius pre-workout is made by Jacked Factory, a supplement company that believes in delivering quality, correctly-dosed ingredients for relatively affordable prices. Altius offers transparent labeling–no ingredient amounts are underdosed or hidden in proprietary blends. Jacked Factory believes in three promises when it comes to their supplements:
- Each supplement has effective ingredients with no fillers or artificial dyes
- Doses are supported by research
- Labeling is completely transparent
As you’ve likely discovered, the supplement industry is rife with shady labeling practices and ingredients we’d rather not see, so it’s refreshing to see effective, honest dosing. We’ll dive into the features of Altius in a moment, but before we begin, let’s look at some pros and cons of this pre-workout:
- All ingredients are research-supported
- It doesn’t go too heavy on the stimulants
- It’s focused on energizing you and supporting the sharp focus you need
- Given its quality ingredient list, it’s fairly affordable
- If the price is a point of concern, it may be too expensive for some
- Some buyers have complained that the taste is too tart
Features and Benefits
Before you choose to make a purchase, it’s always wise to learn as much as you can about each pre-workout you’re considering. In this section, we’ll look at the ingredients and other features of Altius.
Any pre-workout can have a great marketing campaign, testimonials, and flashy packaging, but what really matters is the included ingredients. In this section, we’ll take you through each ingredient of Altius pre-workout and discuss how (or if) it will help you take your workout to the next level.
- Vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin (500 mcg) — Vitamin B12 helps support energy production. By taking it in your daily pre-workout, you will almost certainly notice a difference.
- Sodium chloride (150 mg) — You may already get enough sodium in your diet, but this relatively low supplement helps keep your electrolytes balanced.
- Potassium chloride (300 mg) — Potassium is an important electrolyte, and its inclusion here helps ensure that you keep your electrolytes in balance.
- L-citrulline malate 2:1 (8,000 mg) — L-citrulline is an amino acid commonly seen in nitric oxide supplements. Since it supports nitric oxide production, it increases blood flow and vascularity for a killer pump.
- Beta-alanine (3,200 mg) — Beta-alanine is an amino acid that is commonly used as a performance enhancer. It’s found in plenty of pre-workout supplements.
- Creatine monohydrate (3,000 mg) — Creatine is one of the most popular workout supplements in existence, and creatine monohydrate is perhaps the most popular form. It helps support cellular energy as well as muscle size and strength.
- Betaine anhydrous (2,500 mg) — Betaine is an amino acid that has been found to support increased gains in muscle size and strength. It also helps increase power, which can help you lift heavier for a longer period of time.
- Caffeine anhydrous (325 mg) — You likely already know this, but the stimulant effects of caffeine can help you get more out of your workout. Caffeine also has been shown to increase pain tolerance. While it’s not a good idea to push through the pain of an injury, pushing through the burn you feel at the end of a set is often well worth it.
- Alpha-GPC (150 mg) — This is a chemical that is formed when the body breaks down a certain fatty acid commonly found in soy. It may help improve focus and memory, which is essential when you want to get a great workout in.
- Bio-Perine (5mg) — This patented form of black pepper extract has been shown to improve absorption and increase the bioavailability of supplements.
Should You Take It?
Selecting a pre-workout is a highly personal choice. What works for you might spell disaster for your gym buddy. That said, we think that this is an intelligently-designed pre-workout that will help you take your workouts to the next level. Here are some of the additional benefits of the Altius ingredients listed above:
You Don’t Need to Buy an Additional Creatine Supplement
It’s easy to overspend on supplements, and if your regimen has gotten out of hand, Altius just might help you simplify it. The maintenance level of creatine monohydrate is thought to be about two grams per day, and each serving of Altius contains three grams.
It Has the Right Amino Acids
Altius is clearly a supplement that’s well thought out, and the selected amino acids it contains have been proven to improve performance. The only one we think could be added is taurine, but taurine also has become so popular that its benefits may be a bit overstated.
It Doesn’t Overdo It on the Stimulants
Plenty of us like a bit of a stimulant effect in a pre-workout–after all, the right pre will help psych you up for your workout while giving you enough energy to successfully complete that workout. That said, some formulas have so many different stimulants (caffeine, etc.) that they cause jitters, which can become counterproductive.
The 325 mg of caffeine in Altius is about the same amount of caffeine as you get in three cups of coffee. If you’re very sensitive to caffeine, this may still be too much. But if you aren’t, this amount may be just right.
There Are No Artificial Sweeteners or Dyes
Taste seems to be a bit of a point of contention amongst Altius buyers. Jacked Factory is committed to avoiding artificial sweeteners and dyes, and many pre-workouts on the market have far too much-added sweetener for my taste.
That said, if you have a real sweet tooth when it comes to your pre, this one may not be for you. It has a somewhat tart taste since there isn’t a load of sugar added.
What Are Others Saying
Most of the Altius pre-workout reviews we were able to find were very positive, and this seems to be a very well-liked supplement. Below are a few of the Altius pre-workout reviews we found on our search:
By this point, if you’ve decided Altius isn’t for you, you may be looking for viable alternatives. In this section, I’ll offer three possible alternatives for you to consider.
This one comes with what is effectively a warning label: there’s plenty of stimulants to go around in each dose. This formula has 333 mg of caffeine per dose, and you also get Huperzine A and theobromine to support energy and focus. Beta-alanine and L-citrulline are two of these pre-workouts main ingredients, and it’s somewhat similar to Altius. That said, it is more expensive, so it may not be ideal for the lifter on a budget.
- Extra stimulants can give you the boost you need in the gym
- It includes more than just caffeine
- Transparent labeling shows you exactly what you get
- It’s more expensive than Altius
- It’s from a somewhat lesser-known manufacturer
If you have a little more to spend and need more of a boost in the gym, make sure you check this one out!
This pre is from supplement giant Cellucor, and it also has somewhat similar ingredients to Altius. You get a full six grams of L-citrulline for a maximum pump, 3.2 grams of beta-alanine, and 1.5 grams of creatine nitrate. You also get 300 mg of caffeine. This one is a bit more expensive than Altius, and you also only get 20 servings. However, this sugar-free formula may be good for those looking to cut. I especially like the cleverly-named Sour Batch Bros flavor.
- Interesting flavor options offer some variety
- Effective doses of each ingredient help you achieve a great pump
- It comes from a very reputable supplement company
- It’s a little more expensive
- It isn’t all-natural
If you’re a Cellucor fan, make sure you give this one a look!
Speaking of clever names, this pre-workout has a name that we’re unlikely to forget. Named after the famously killed gorilla Harambe, this pre-workout is designed to support energy and mental fortitude as you move through your next workout. It’s made by LMNITRIX, a supplement company that I was not formerly familiar with. Harambe Blood has six grams of L-citrulline paired with 150 mg of L-norvaline, another nitric oxide support. You also get a full gram of L-tyrosine and 395 mg of caffeine, so you’ll likely have plenty of energy when you use it. The Blue Slush flavor is especially delicious.
- The inclusion of extra nitric oxide boosters helps you achieve a great pump
- L-tyrosine and a hefty dose of caffeine are great for sluggish starts
- Flavors are especially delicious
- This one is from a less reputable brand
- High stimulant dosages may give some lifters the jitters
If you’re up for something a little different, be sure to try out this one!
In short, while it may be a little pricey and not everyone loves the flavor, we think Altius is a pre-workout worthy of your attention. It contains a range of proven ingredients, and the combination of effective doses and fully transparent labeling is sadly a rarity in the world of pre-workouts. Of course, it’s important to carefully consider what you personally need in a pre-workout supplement before pulling the trigger on Altius or any other pre. Think carefully, do your research, and get ready to get some gains.